Friday, November 5, 2010

Friends

The one thing that is constant in life is having friends. I have several close ones although they are far away.
The most painful lesson I have learned, is not forgiving when you've had a fight with one.

Bob, I met him when I was 18 and small town girl getting chewed up and spit out by the big city. He befriended me, and basically saved my ass, driving me all the way back home to Oregon from San Diego, as I was floundering, barely able to survive. We stayed in touch, and stayed close friends. Through out the years, we were there for each other, through thick and thin. I would not have made it through college if it had not been for Bob. He would always make sure I had groceries, or money for groceries, when he would come through.
I rode on the back of his Harley to my college graduation. He was the best man at my wedding. There was not a single important part of my life that I do not remember Bob being a part of, at the very least he was there on the phone. He was my touchstone. In 2001 we had a terrible argument, over what I don't even remember now, but we were both going through upheaval and changes in our lives. I was ending a marriage and he was starting a relationship. I left the state, always meaning to call him and make up. My mom and Steph saw him and they talked, and I phoned finally only to reach a disconnect number and my Christmas card returned forwarding address unknown. After so many years we had drifted apart, with harsh angry words being the last things said between us.

Bob was killed August 11, 2005 in La Mesa California. I have no idea how he died, under what circumstance, all I can find is a Social Security Death Index. I imagine i hope that it was quick, on his Harley doing what he loved to do, Ride. I cannot imagine the world without him but the world is with out him.

Treasure those friends that have been with you for so long, even if you've drifted apart, find your way back. These people played an intrinsic part in who you are as a person. To know your friends is to know their flaws and a true friend, accepts even embraces those flaws.  No lesson is harder learned than the one where you don't get to say sorry.

To all my friends out there, I love you, thank you for being who you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment